2011년 1월 13일 목요일

Reflective essay - Spring, Summer, Fall, Wnter, Spring

     In our writing class, we saw a short film called 'Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring' and we had a question about it. The question is...
In the film "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring", what lesson do you think that the teacher is trying to teach his young student? Reflectively relate this learning process to your own personal experience.


     In the film, there are 2 monks. One is an adult and he teaches a young boy who lives with him in a Buddhist temple which is placed on the center of the lake. One day, the boy went to the mountain to play and he tied a stone to three animals; a fish, a frog, and a snake. The teacher(I mean the adult monk) saw it and tied a stone to the boy when he was sleeping in the middle of the night. Surely the boy woke up the next day and found out that there was a stone tied up to him. The teacher commanded the boy to release all the animals and if the animals were dead already, the boy would have the stone carried in his heart forever. The boy went back to the mountain and searched for the animals. Unfortunately, the fish and the snake had already died. In my opinion, the teacher was trying to teach the boy that you can't return back what you have already done. It will be too late to regret it.

     I have a personal experencewhich is related to the teaching of the teacher. When I was very young, I think it was about when I was 5 or 6 years old. We had a fish in our house. It was quite small and I enjoyed watching it swimming around the fish tank. One day, when nobody was in home, I was watching at the fish as usual. At first, it was interesting but after several minutes, it became bored. I thought about how could I play more interesting than just simply watching at the fish. Then suddenly, I had an idea. I put my hand into the fish tank and tried to catch the fish. The fish kept hiding and it swam away from me. I thought it was interesting because as I tried to catch the fish, it swam away so I had to concentrate on it. In my perspective, that was a kind of interesting game between me and the fish. I kept doing that many times when I was bored, I mean when I was alone with the fish. One day, when I was playing with the fish, I accidently put the fish out of the tank. The fish fell to the ground and it kept moving. I knew that I had to put it back to the tank but I was kind of scared to put the fish back into the fish tank. During the hesitation, the fish died. Because of it, I felt sorry for the fish. After the death of the fish, I tried to be more careful because I learned an important lesson. You can't return the things that you have already done.

     By the event, I learned a very crucial lesson which I already talked about. To prevent making the same mistake, I am now thinking about the effects that someone or something will have if I do something to them. I honestly think that the thing that I did to the fish was cruel and bad. However, it was helpful for me to learn a lesson which became very important to my life so I am feeling sorry and also thankful to it. And thanks to the fish, I had never did the same thing like that in y life after it gave me the lesson.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기